Sunday, March 30, 2008

Purpose Statement... or something...

Hello, welcome to Camarillo City Watch. The reason I started this blog is that I read an interesting comment regarding the Camarillo City Council on a blog that shall remained nameless. I suppose the purpose of this blog is to blog about the Camarillo City Government. Partially because of my experience in Northridge*, but I don't trust local governments, and I think local governments are part of a bigger problem of "big government" that likes to intrude on its citizens. So far my only goal is to attend Camarillo City meetings and then blog about them when I get back, or perhaps I'll blog while watching the meetings on TV. Either way, I'd like to see a more open local government (why don't City Council's post complete transcripts?), because I'd like to know about some of the stuff going on in my city.

*My wife and I lived in Northridge for 2 years, and during that time "local government" was a pain... since we were "governed" by those in Los Angeles and not under local authority. Our apartment complex was on the same block as houses, and the home-owners managed to get "No Parking Overnight" signs put up by LA City (yes, I'm sure they had no problem collecting ticket money, even if it was $30) on our street an 3 blocks away. This created a furor and our Councilman, Greig Smith didn't do anything. Even though the actions of 20 home-owners adversely affected 200 apartment dwellers, by forcing people to walk from a block away when we used to be able to park across the street. Two girls from our complex were assaulted because they worked late night shifts and had to come home.

We worked for 6 months with our local neighborhood council (an equally useless organization) and most of them didn't care about the signs either or didn't feel like they could do anything. Additionally there was a police Sgt who said that putting the signs up made the area "safer" somehow... and crime had been reduced. I guess the logic is if no one parked on the street there would be less crime, that makes sense... so let's restrict everyone's parking!

Bottom-line: You can ignore your local government, but do so at your own risk because they could come and bite you in the rear.

1 comment:

w said...

Good luck on your new venture.